September is Self-Improvement Month, and I think the timing couldn’t be more perfect. With the kiddos off to school and the long summer days nothing but a memory, we have more time to focus on ourselves.
As mothers and women, I believe we so often give all of our energy and attention to our families that we forget about number one: ourselves. Of course, our children, spouses, extended family, and friends are incredibly important, but if we are not constantly striving to be the best we can be, we will fall short in all aspects of our lives. I also want to point out that we are talking about self-improvement, not self-care. Both are important, but there is a difference.
Do you have goals? Dreams? They can be small or large. We owe it to ourselves, and the life that we have been given, to be the best version of ourselves. Even if you’re “just a mom” or “just a teacher” or “just a nurse” or whoever you are, you have the ability to never stop being better. You are not “just” anything. Who you are and what you do has a profound effect on our world. You are raising little humans to be our future.
Below are some ideas you can use to jump-start your self-improvement month. But I challenge you to keep it going after September ends!
Eight ideas to propel Self-Improvement Month:
- Practice positive affirmations. We see the positive quotes all over social media, but do we ever stop to think about them? One way to practice positive affirmations is by keeping a journal of the quotes you find most inspiring and then turning to random pages each day for a daily dose of inspiration.
- Learn something new. Is there something you have been wanting to do? Try yoga or barre? Learn how to make pottery? I would love to learn to crochet!
- Commit to a goal. Do you have a life goal or a short-term goal? Perhaps finish that thesis? Lose 15 pounds? Clean out the basement? Pick one and actually commit to finishing it.
- Read inspirational or self-improvement books. Reading is so good for us and inspirational or self-improvement books take that up a notch.
- Practice gratitude. Living a grateful life lifts such a burden off your shoulders, especially when our days are inundated by social media and everyone’s highlight reels. Keep a gratitude journal that you write down a few things every day that you are grateful for; big or small, they all count.
- Start a new hobby. Do something that gives you a break and allows you to focus on something you enjoy. Maybe it’s reading, scrapbooking, bike riding…anything you want!
- Focus on your physical health. Being physically and mentally healthy are equally important. Pick one area to focus on, i.e. dump the Diet Coke, eat more veggies, establish a regular workout routine, etc. Set an example for your family.
- Volunteer. One of the greatest fulfillments in life is giving back. There is not much more rewarding than helping in a womens shelter, caring for abandoned pets, or feeding the hungry. What tugs at your heartstrings and calls you in?
So, how will you celebrate Self-Improvement Month?
What are some other ways you work on your self improvement?
Let me know on Instagram! @evolgazzarato