Easter feels different this year. Many churches, groups, and organizations have cancelled their annual egg hunts, services, and events in light of the ongoing pandemic. However, we can still include the people we love, tune into live church services, and share a fantastic meal with extended family from afar. Our team is here to help you find magic in the mundane, and to make the best out of celebrating at home with your immediate family– at a safe distance from the rest of the world.
Tell Us How You’re Celebrating in the Comments!
- Decorate Easter eggs. The kind you eat, and the kind you hang on walls!
Get dressed up, it’s Easter Sunday!
- Leave out carrots for the Easter Bunny.
- Have an Easter egg hunt with your family or utilize virtual opportunities online to coordinate one for your neighborhood.
- Plant a jelly bean garden and let the bunny turn them into dumdum lollipops over night!
- Set up a DIY family photo-shoot on your front steps.
- Easter Crafts!
- Get outdoors, fly a kite with your immediate family, take a walk, or a hop.
- Make a flower box and plant Easter flowers together.
Chalk Easter greetings on the neighborhood sidewalks.
- Revisit the story of Easter and old Easter books.
- Utilize technology to interact at meals with family, play games with friends.
- Grab some Peeps and do a fun science experiment.
- Get our the construction paper and make a bunny rabbit decoration for any door.
CHURCH AND WORSHIP
Easter Sunday is one of the biggest Sundays of the year, in the eyes of the church. For some of you, this may be the first Easter Sunday you’ve celebrated, and so maybe, you’re feeling a little lost. Some churches are streaming their worship services and sermons, allowing people to engage, participate, and worship. While there are a million various services out there, here are a handful that we know of in our area.
- 242 Community Church: One church, multiple locations, all online.
- Our Lady Victory– Northville: All services can be found in video form online.
- Kirk in the Hills: Kirk in the Hills is currently offering livestream worship.
- Ward Church: Ward Church is currently offering livestream services.
- Heritage Church: Check out their webpage to see future services or re-watch past services.
EASTER DINNER RECIPES
With a little preparation and coordinating, you and your extended family can share beloved recipes, cook together online or in spirit, then share an Easter meal from the comfort of your homes. The bright side here? Nobody will judge you when you unbutton your pants following dinner! Here are some of our favorite recipes.
- Dill Pickle Ham Roll ups
- Charcuterie Tray
- Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw
- Easter Salad
- Deviled Eggs
- Resurrection Rolls
- Egg Salad and Crackers
Main Course Favorites
- Honey Baked Ham
- Dearborn Brand Ham and Turkey
- Green Bean Casserole
- Creamy Herbed Potatoes
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Easy Corn Casserole
- Homemade Bread and Rolls
Sweet Treats & Desserts:
You don’t have to do it alone. Some vendors are still up and running, waiting for your support! Here are a few bakeries and decorators still offering services during this time. With safe handling, everyone can benefit!
- Detroit Cookie Company & Cafe: (248) 246-8060
The Detroit Cookie Company & Cafe Ferndale storefront is closed currently but they’re shipping their beloved cookie orders nationwide M-F. No shipments going out on weekends.
- For the Love of Sugar: (313) 788-7111
For the Love of Sugar offers personalized cakes, and claims “when you order something sweet from For the Love of Sugar, it’s not just dessert you’re getting, you’re getting a product that’s created with love and years of experimenting, in hopes of creating the most delectable treats you will come across.”
- Good Cakes and Bakes: (313) 468-9915
Good Cakes and Bakes, LLC’s mission is to provide quality baked goods that are wholesome and organic in nature. To serve you during this time, Good Cakes and Bakes offers curbside pickup and “no-contact” home delivery (purchases will be dropped off at your door).
- Just Baked Cupcakes: (248) 706-6199
Fully sanitized and ready to greet customers’ carry out needs, Just Baked Cupcakes are also available through carryout and drivethru at select Tubby’s Sub Shops locations.
- Le Detroit Macaron: (contact via webpage)
You can order three ways: email the order and get an invoice; call 313-338-8006; or you can wait outside and they will come out and take your order!
- M Street Baking Co: (517) 376-6797
All orders are are personally delivered by M Street Baking Co. and left on your porch for a totally contact-free transaction! M Street Baking Company specializes in custom cakes and cupcakes that can be created for any occasion!
- Mannino’s Bakery: (586) 978-8166
Mannino’s Bakery is offering curbside pickup. Try to place your orders by Wednesday, April 8th if possible so that they can ensure you get what you need on time.
- Nothing Bundt Cakes: (order online)
Nothing Bundt Cakes is offering delivery and curbside pick up. Call ahead or order online. The various sizes could be Easter basket fillers!
- Pink Elephant Cupcakes: (586) 552-5862
Pink Elephant Cupcakes is currently offering curbside pick-up or (local) delivery for all orders. Please call orders in ahead of time “and a smiling face will be happy to run it out to you.” If you live in Grosse Pointe or St. Clair Shores, they will be offering $5 delivery (with no delivery minimum!).
- Zingerman’s: (734) 761-2095
Zingerman’s signature decorated cakes are great for all occasions. Zingerman’s is known for their treasured recipes and variety of treats including pastries, cookies, bread, and more. Call to order at least two days ahead by noon.