If you feel stuck when it comes to date ideas, we here at Detroit Mom have you covered–literally, across multiple counties. Together with our team of writers, we have compiled the ultimate list of date ideas in and around Detroit.
The weather may be chilly, but sometimes we get unseasonably “warm” days. Winter is a great time to bundle up, get some fresh air, and spend time with your partner. So call up your favorite trusted babysitter, leave pizza money and a movie for the kids to enjoy, and choose a city from our list to get started on your best date ever!
We know that finding reliable childcare isn’t always easy, but our hope is that when the time comes for a date, and you’re looking for date ideas in and around Detroit, you’ll choose a fun adventure from our list. We provide you with specifics of where to go and what to do. So choose a city, and get going on that date!
Winter date ideas in + around Detroit, by city:
- Start at Nickels Arcade, then head to TAQ for dinner, and Le Bon Macaron for dessert (check out Kenisha’s guide to a date night in Ann Arbor!)
- Check out Casa Dominick’s for a super unique space with a huge patio and drinks by the mason jar. Then walk around Nichols Arboretum or the U of M Art Museum, the Diag, and/or the Law Quad
- Stop in at Gandy Dancer (take in some of the building’s history) and then head to Nightcap for a craft cocktail or mocktail
- Take a cooking class at Zingerman’s!
- Head to The HUB Stadium for axe throwing, football bowling, and great food
- Grab dinner at Red Ox Tavern and then taste some Michigan wine at Michigan By The Bottle Tasting Room
- Stop in to Urban Wick Candle Bar to create your own signature scent or surprise one another with candles you made yourself!
- Check out Madam, the Daxton hotel restaurant to get dressed up and enjoy breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
- Eat dinner at Social and then go see a movie at The Birmingham 8
- Ski or snowboard at Pine Knob, then stop by Clarkston Union for a delicious dinner
- Escape the cold and explore the DIA–the Van Gogh exhibit runs through the end of January
- Go climbing at DYNO Detroit, then enjoy drinks and dinner at Batch Brewing Company
- Grab drinks at Evening Bar inside Shinola, then head to dinner at San Morello, and stop by Mister Dips for dessert
- Drinks and appetizers at The Shelby, a speakeasy behind the blue door at the back of Coffee Down Under
- Drinks and dinner at Highlands, which is at the top of the Ren Cen
- Catch a show at the DSO with dinner at Shewolf or Selden Standard
- Head to Cadieux Cafe for feather bowling (book ahead of time if you can), a Belgian dinner, and live music
- Bundle up for an early morning stroll along the riverfront to enjoy nature and some peace and quiet
- Spend a few hours at the Monroe Street Midway for winter bumper cars, the arctic slide, and puck-putt
- Stop in to House of Pure Vin for a wine tasting, then to The Monarch Club for dinner with a rooftop view
- Head to Detroit Shipping Company for food and drinks
- Start with yoga at Sattva Yoga Center, then grab brunch or lunch at Avenue Brunch House
- Enjoy breakfast at Avenue Brunch House, then tea or coffee across the street at Qahwah House
- Spend the day at The Henry Ford (their exhibit “Light and Joy in the Holiday Season” runs through January 8th)
- Grab dinner at Cafe Cortina, and shop their marketplace for some pasta sauce to take home
- Head to Browndog Creamery for mid-day milkshakes!
- Take a cooking class together at Experience Cooking
- Get some friends together for a fun evening of folwing at The Fowling Warehouse (and be sure to get your fave restaurant to deliver dinner there!)
- Grab dinner from Polonia Polish Restaurant
- Put together a group date and stop in to Bath City Bistro for feather bowling and food
- Walk through the Anton Art Center and then head to dinner at The Engine House
- Dinner at Table 5
- Go out for sushi at Koji
- Grab ice cream or a boozy shake from Browndog, then walk around the social district
- Go on an adventure date to iFly Detroit–indoor skydiving!
- Head on over to The Hub Stadium for ax throwing, ice curling, football bowling, and more!
- Check out go-karting at Full Throttle Adrenaline Park
- Enjoy traditional recipes for pasta at Nico and Vali Italian Eatery
- Grab some carry-out from Compari’s On The Park
- Enjoy the outdoors by walking the Paint Creek Trail and then eating lunch at Kruse’s Paint Creek Tavern
- Start with dinner at City Tavern, and then walk over to Sanders for a sweet dessert!
- Grab some after-breakfast donuts from Knapp’s
- Try out ice skating at Suburban Ice
- How fun is a speakeasy? Head to the website for Johnny’s, make your reservation, and you’ll get the code to enter!
- Catch a show at Mark Ridley’s Comedy Castle and then grab dinner from Condado Tacos or Lockhart’s BBQ
- Bundle up to spend the day at the Detroit Zoo and stop in at Buddy’s while you’re there for lunch or an early dinner
St. Clair Shores
- Grab dinner at Watermark and enjoy igloo dining!
- Lace up your skates for some ice skating at Dodge Park Ice Rink
Grab dinner at Roundhouse BBQ and then stop in for some ice cream at Custard Corner
- Spend the day at the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge
- Stop in for some croissants and crepes at Farhat Sweets
- Enjoy a multi-course meal for two at The Melting Pot
- Sign up for a cooking class through Sur La Table
- Stop at Tim Horton’s for breakfast to-go, then head over to Stoney Creek for a winter hike
- Test your sense of adventure by choosing an escape room at Michigan Escape Room (would be great with a group of friends!)
- Stop by Crispelli’s for a delicious lunch, then bundle up to take a walk around Marshbank Park
- Spend the day skiing or snowboarding at Alpine Valley
- Date night to-go! Pick up a carry-out dinner from Volare Ristorante
- Enjoy dinner at Drafting Table Brewing Company–choose one another’s meals!
- Dinner at The Iron Gate, then drinks at Wine Dotte Bistro
- Grab ice cream at Yogurtown
- Go on a walking tour to find all of the outdoor sculptures the city has on display!