Summer is coming to a close and soon enough, those alarms will be set for early morning school wake-ups. Can you believe how quickly summer flew by? As much as we wish summer could stay forever, it’s time to start thinking about trading in the water tables and bathing suits for back-to-school essentials.
If your child’s school supply items lasted the entire previous school year, you can sit back and kick up your feet because you, my friend, don’t need any new back to school essentials. But if you need to replace some of those well-loved items, or want to try out something new, you’re in the right spot!
Nothing quite hypes up a new school year like new school supplies. But, with so many options out there, it can be hard to know which backpacks or water bottles will be the best fit for your family. Together with our team and local moms from our community groups, we’ve put together a list of Detroit Mom-recommended back-to-school essentials that your family is sure to love.
Here is a list of popular back-to-school essentials:
Backpacks, Lunch boxes, and Snack bags
Let’s start with the items sure to get the most use. That backpack needs to be sturdy, durable, AND on-trend. And the lunch box or snack bag? Easy to clean and sure to keep cold foods cold, and hot foods hot (or, warm). Here are some of the backpacks, lunch boxes, and snack bags we recommend!
- Bentgo Backpack and Lunch Bag
- Lands’ End (usually are on sale for 50% off once per summer, so keep an eye out next summer for the sale)
- Pottery Barn Kids
- 31 brand
- Bentgo 3-Compartment Lunch Box (set of 3)
- Bentgo 5-Compartment Lunch Box
- Insulated Food Jar (for lunchbox)
- OmieBox 3-Compartment Bento Box
- Pottery Barn Kids
First Day of School Signs
Everyone loves those first day of school photo-ops, and what better way to celebrate a new school year than with a fun, new sign? These are great because they are reusable, so year after year you can watch your kids grow with the same sign, from preschool all the way to high school. Do they still pose with this sign in high school? Let me know. I have a long way to go until my kids are that age!
- Apple Sign from Hangin Round (a local small business)
- Double-Sided Sign
- Dry Erase Sign from Pop Fizz Klink (another local small business)
- First Day and Last Day Signs (set of two) from Modern Natural Baby (we love supporting small biz!)
With so many schools incorporating technology into the daily classroom experience, a pair of headphones are a must for your child. It can be helpful for your child to have their own pair of headphones to cut down on germs. You can easily slip them into a gallon-sized plastic bag with your child’s name on the front!
With the worry of losing an item at school, having your child’s name on things is a great idea. I speak from experience (former elementary school teacher here!) when I tell you that things go missing ALL the time in the classroom. The lost and found is a great place to look if something goes missing, but with your child’s name in it, it will be even easier to return to the owner. If you have a cricut machine, you could even make your own! If not, check out these label brands.
For the middle school and high school students, a locker is quite important. Equally as important as its use, is making sure it is neat and organized so that homework doesn’t get lost and coats don’t get stuck in the door. And, if a phone or computer will be spending time in the locker, make sure it has a lock screen to keep the contents secure if it gets lost. Here are some other helpful locker items to have.
- Combination Lock (for practice)
- Magnetic Storage Boxes (for supplies)
- Magnets (don’t use tape in the locker!)
- Menstruation Kit (just in case!)
- Shelf (depending on how wide the locker is) and accessories
- Travel-Size Toiletries (think hand sanitizer, deodorant, etc. They’d fit easily in the magnetic storage boxes linked above . . .)
Keeping all the things organized all the time can be a dream–or, a nightmare. It just depends on your personality! I love to organize everything, but sometimes it’s a little overwhelming. If the thought of organizing stresses you out, here are a few products to make your life a little easier when school starts.
- Charging Station for Electronics
- Days of the Week Hanging Organizer (for closet)
- Get It Together! Calendar
- Mom’s Manager Hanging Wall Calendar
- Pencil Case
- Wall-Mounted Hooks (for backpacks, scarves, coats, lunch boxes . . .)
It’s important to stay hydrated, and a great water bottle is key to this. When your child is at school, you want one that will not only keep them hydrated but that will also last the entire school year (or maybe even longer!). There can be so many options to choose from, so we’ve narrowed it down for you!
We hope this list of back-to-school essentials is helpful as you prep your kids for the back-to-school season. Nothing can compare to the excitement of finding out your child’s teacher, visiting the school, and seeing your kids smile as they greet friends both old and new. Wishing you a successful start to the school year!