Detroit Mom’s Local Love series highlights local women and the businesses they have built. We love supporting small business! Today’s Local Love Spotlight belongs to Lauren Wilson, owner of LovePeaceThreads.
To start, we asked Lauren to tell us a few unique things about herself! She said her personality, her creativity, and her ability to remain positive are all unique. And we love that about her!
We also asked her to share a little bit more about her business with us. Get to know Lauren and her business, LovePeaceThreads, below!
How did you come up with the idea of your business, and how did you start?
“I came up with the idea during COVID because I was looking for more money to put my children through school. Honestly, the idea just came to me! I did not make apparel for myself or others first before selling. I’ve always loved fashion and design so this kinda came easy to me!
“I decided to start on social media right away because I know how easily you can build an audience and market products. Honestly I didn’t wait, I just started it! I knew it was time to start a website after about a year and after some growth. I wanted my customers to be able to see everything I have to offer and also be able to purchase items from me if they didn’t have social media. The jean jacket parties just came to me too! Like I said, I’ve always loved design and fashion and I am always thinking of new ways to grow my business and keep my customers engaged.”
What is the best business advice you’ve ever been given?
“Be patient and keep going.”
How do you persevere in challenging times?
“[By] keeping a positive mindset. I have an unwavering commitment to never giving up and a strong determination to overcome any obstacles that come my way. I believe in pushing forward relentlessly, refusing to let anything stand in my path to success.”
What impact do you want your business to have?
“[I hope to] allow women to feel beautiful in what they wear, and also give them the ability to be creative while doing so.”
What knowledge would you share with someone who wants to become an entrepreneur?
“[I would tell them to] pursue their passions and not allow anything to get in the way. It’s really important to remember that building a successful business takes time and persistence. It’s common to face doubts and distractions along the way, but with determination and a strategic approach, you can overcome these challenges and work toward your entrepreneurial goals.
“I try to do the following:
- Break down big goals: This makes them feel less overwhelming and easier to tackle.
- Continuously learn: Invest in your knowledge and skills. The more you learn and gain confidence in your abilities, the better equipped you’ll be to tackle challenges.
- Have a positive mindset: Cultivate a positive mindset by practicing self-affirmation and focusing on your strengths and achievements.
- Have time management: Efficiently manage your time by allocating blocks for focused work.
- Minimize distractions: Identify common distractions in your work environment and take steps to minimize them.
- Prioritize tasks: Create a daily or weekly to-do list and prioritize tasks based on their importance and urgency. This can help you stay organized and avoid getting sidetracked.
- Seek support: Surround yourself with a network of mentors, advisors, or peers who can provide guidance and support.
- Self-reflect: Acknowledge your doubts and insecurities, but don’t let them control your actions. Regularly reflect on your progress, learn from your mistakes, and use them as opportunities for growth.
- Set clear goals: Having a clear direction can help you stay focused and motivated.
- Stay adaptable: Understand that setbacks and uncertainties are a part of entrepreneurship. Embrace change and adapt your plans as needed.”
What do you do for personal and professional development?
“[I like to] workout, [and] stay up-to-date with the latest trends.”
What mantra or quote do you live by?
“Dream big and don’t fear to fail.”
What’s your favorite place in Detroit or Michigan?