Imagine every parent’s worst nightmare–your child is being admitted to the hospital. You may be feeling totally helpless, but you smile and tell your kiddo that everything is going to be just fine. In between the constant nurses coming in and out, and the medical terminology you’re trying to google, a smiling face walks in. They hand your child the gift of comfort. They give you the gift of relief, for one small second.
That smiling stranger is Fleece & Thank You and their army of amazing volunteers bringing comfort to children in hospitals! February is Random Acts of Kindness Month and Detroit Mom is giving you the opportunity to give back. We’re partnering with Fleece & Thank You this month to support kids, and caregivers, in hospitals, by making fleece blankets!
What is Fleece & Thank You?
Fleece & Thank You is a Farmington Hills-based, non-profit organization which specializes in making fleece blankets with personal video messages and then delivering them to children in hospitals all around Michigan and Northern Ohio. Check out their website!
They are also the creators of the Grateful Human brand. Grateful Human is an apparel line born out of one of the core values of Fleece & Thank You: gratitude. The line spreads the message of giving and receiving gratitude. (PS! Check out their collegiate colors collection!)
How does this community event work?
Participate 1 of 3 ways!
Click the link below to buy a special Detroit Mom blanket kit and one-of-a-kind Grateful Human Detroit Mom sweatshirt (sweatshirt must be ordered by February 15th), then:
- Come to our blanket making event on February 29th from 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m., and make your blanket with our Detroit Mom community (bring your kids too!). Be sure to RSVP in the event on FB (linked below) so that we know how many people are coming!
- Make your blanket at home and bring it to our event! There will be plenty of moms needing a helping hand to create their blanket, or meet new friends.
- Can’t make it?! Order your blanket and make it at home, on your own timeline!
Can I just buy a blanket to donate, or make my own?
Unfortunately, no. Fleece & Thank You blanket kits must be used for this special partnership. Here’s why:
- Fleece & Thank You works with their hospital partners to design the exact specifications and process for our kits, and this is critical in delivering consistent comfort to kiddos. They require a specific type of fabric, size, and design.
- Each blanket has a logo/patch heat pressed on it, where there is a code that contains a video of the blanket maker offering words of encouragement to children going through their treatment journey. These children can then send a thank you video back with their new piece of colorful comfort.
- Most importantly: your order of our blanket kits helps cover the entire process of blanket delivery from raw materials to hospital bed. Instead of purchasing fabric at the fabric store, ordering the kit from Fleece & Thank You is a critical part to keeping their service to hospitals (and children!) sustainable.
Grab a Mom Friend and Join Us!
This is a kid-friendly event, or great for a moms night out! Order your apparel and Fleece & Thank You Blanket Kit today and then come mingle with us while we help create smiles for children!
BLANKET MAKING EVENT DETAILS
When: Thursday, February 29, 2024
Time: 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
Where: Rochester Hills | Chief Financial Credit Union
20 S. Main
Rochester, MI 48307