As the holidays approach, we are all trying to think of unique gifts to give, particularly ones that spark joy and excitement. It can be a challenge to think of a stand-out gift that won’t be forgotten soon after the presents are all unwrapped.
This is one of the many benefits of gifting an experience to your family and friends. In fact, there is more delight in store as they enjoy the anticipation of the event, and the actual experience. Truly, it’s a gift that keeps on giving!
Additionally, experience gifts can help keep your money local, create fun memories, and surprisingly make great last-minute options when you are short on shopping time. Metro Detroit boasts so many outstanding businesses, creators, and artists. These gift ideas are sure to help you deliver a unique experience that is bound to delight this holiday season.
Unique Experience Gift Ideas for Younger Kids
Toys have their place under the Christmas tree, but clutter in my house is a real problem. To help curb the clutter, I love encouraging family members to help us create a mix between physical gifts and experience gifts. In doing so, my daughter is able to enjoy unwrapping gifts, but also has fun activities to look forward to after the holiday season.
Some fun experience gift ideas for younger kids include:
- Art Classes
- Art Kits
- Art Attic (Plymouth)
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra (Detroit)
- Disney Animation Immersive Experience (Detroit)
- Nature Classes
- Trampoline park pass
- Troy Gym Munchkin Ropes Course (Troy)
- Yoga Classes
- Down Pup Yoga (Plymouth)
- Young Engineers and Robot Academy, Jr. classes at The Robot Garage (Birmingham)
Unique Experience Gift Ideas for Older Kids
This age group can be daunting when it comes to gift giving. I fret over finding a “cool” gift that doesn’t fall flat on Christmas day. Experience gifts can deliver on fun and entertainment, two words that this age group is seeking!
Some experience gift ideas for older kids include:
- Art Classes
- Concert Tickets
- iFly Indoor Skydiving (Novi)
- Rock climbing pass
- Snow tubing
- Sporting event tickets–don’t forget about local university sporting events!
Unique Experience Gift Ideas for the Family
Who says you can’t also benefit from a gift that you give? Planning and giving an experience you can enjoy as a family creates the perfect opportunity to bond and make lasting memories. Furthermore, those memories just might be the true gift that sticks with your kids for many years to come!
Here are some ideas for experience gifts for the whole entire family:
- Enjoy a day in downtown Detroit at the Monroe Street Midway Winter Wonderland
- Escape the cold and enjoy a day at a local indoor waterpark
- Experience the magic of Broadway in Detroit
- Hit the slopes
- Reserve an igloo for a fun family dining experience
- ‘Twas the Night Before… by Cirque du Soleil (Detroit, December 15 to December 26)
Gifting these unique experiences can help pack more cheer under the tree this holiday season, bringing happiness and joy to the ones on your list. Wishing you a happy holiday season!